Fanny Crosby was born on March 24, 1820 near Brewster, NY, and died on February 12, 1915. She is most likely the most prolific hymn-writer of all time, having published at least 8,000 hymns, despite the fact she was blind from a very early age! She also wrote a large number of books and articles, as well as cantatas, and political songs.
A few of her well-known hymns are:
- Blessed Assurance, Jesus is Mine
- Draw Me Nearer (I Am Thine O Lord)
- To God be the Glory, Great Things He Has Done
- Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior
- Near The Cross (Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross)
- Rescue the Perishing
- All The Way My Savior Leads Me, What Have I to Ask Beside?
There is a well-documented article on Wikipedia on Fanny Crosby’s life.